HIVE would like to hear the views of the Service community about the information service we provide. Please take our short survey here



If you are a subscriber to HIVE blogs, we want to let you know that UK data protection law changes on 25 May 2018 when the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) comes into effect. This new legislation gives you more control over how your data is used.

We are taking this opportunity to update our subscription sign up options to make sure we provide our HIVE blog readers with the information they want, when they want to receive it. This means that if you are already a subscriber, emails you currently receive will stop and all readers will have the opportunity to sign up for new email updates as soon as the new subscription option is in place.

You can withdraw your permission to receive our emails at any time by using the unsubscribe link found at the bottom of every email you receive from us.

Friday, 27 April 2018

Leaving The Forces - Service Accommodation Irregular Occupancy

Whilst in the Armed Forces, you are provided with Service Accommodation.

If you are living in Service Families Accommodation (SFA) but leaving the Armed Forces you will be served with 93 days Notice to Vacate by the Defence Estates Officer. The Notice to Vacate expires on your discharge date, and this is when you legally lose the right to occupy your Service Accommodation (medically discharged personnel have an additional 93 days). Please note, it is your responsibility to make Defence Estates aware of your discharge date.

If you remain in your property after this time, you will become an Irregular Occupant and will be required to pay Damage for Trespass charges (called Violent Profits in Scotland). For assistance with these charges, (means tested) contact your Local Authority or the Department for Work and Pensions to discuss Housing Benefit. Website:

DE will begin proceedings for the repossession of the property, and while the process may take some time, the Court is most likely to order the property back to DE, and you will be liable for Court costs. Despite this, it is important to note that if you leave the property before you are ordered to do so, your local authority may argue that you have made yourself ‘intentionally homeless’, and therefore have no legal duty to house you.

If you are a Single Service Leaver occupying Single Living Accommodation, you are able to remain until your last day of military pay, but no longer. For further assistance on your housing options, we would also advise that you contact the Single Person’s Accommodation Centre for the Ex-Services (SPACES) up to 6 months before your discharge date.

Contact 01748 833797.

Useful Contacts Regarding Housing

Joint Service Housing Advice Office:
Telephone: 01252 787574 Mil: 94222 7574 Freephone 0800 3287641

Shelter: Helpline: 0808 800 4444

Citizens Advice Bureau: Search for your local CAB online at 
A CAB drop in service operates from Bovington HIVE on a Tuesday 9.30am - 1pm.
Appointments are not necessary. Confidentiality guaranteed. 

The Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association – Forces Help (SSAFA): Housing Advisory Service: 02074 639398 

The Royal British Legion: Telephone: 02032 072100